try

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Think on these things

My Father is very sick and has reached the part of his journey where hospice has been called in. If you have never had the privilege of meeting the wonderful men and women that work with people at the end of  their lives you need to seek them out! (No seriously!) They are peaceful, kind , serene , and confident in an unsure situation. They continue to make this hard time more bearable!
I have been so busy that my craft room has sat vacant and lonely for many weeks. But at the kindness of my Mother and Super Uncle I was given the weekend off and I got busy! 
I broke out the sewing machine and made the princess a pretty dress and a couple of  rice ice packs. 
I than began to think about a way to get Philippians 4:8-9 on the wall in my parents kitchen where my fathers hospital bed now lives. He has been having some rough nights where all the peace that he feels during the day drains away. He begins to worry about what is happening to him, and what will happen to my Mother when he is fishing in heaven. 
I had some scraps of wood and got  busy.
I started by painting the boards different colors that would match their kitchen.
To make a better covering  of paint I mixed a teaspoon of chalk paint with the acrylic color of choice. It went on like Butta! 
Next I worked on the lettering. I used different stencils, free handed some and decoupaged some as well. 
 Than I waited for the paint to dry and went on the hunt for some sand paper... In  my house my tools seem to walk.... Or at least a little 4 yr old walks them all over the place 

I distressed them to a pulp and weathered them some more ... I love the look that says " I am old and well loved and I have seen better days"

I than grabbed two more scraps of wood and a handsome Filipino with a power drill , and had him drill my wood together. 
I took my handy dandy spool of jute and made a handle to hang it by.
As I was working on this project the bible verse began to roll around in my head...
Whatever is true, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely . If anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. 
Philippians 4 8-9

It became a balm to my soul ...

I hope that you have a chance to make this sometime when your soul is dry and the Lord feels far away. Being back in my craft room working with my hands has energized me more than anything in the world!

Love ,
Lilie
 

1 comment:

  1. Love this. What a beautiful post. I am so sorry to hear about your father. What a sweet idea for them. Thank you for sharing.
    Sending you a hug and a Blessing because you've blessed me today.

    ReplyDelete